Indivisible Project collection
Scope and Contents
The collection is divided into four series: Correspondence; Book Project Files; Artist Files; and Museum Exhibition Files. Many series contain materials closely related to other series, appropriate directional notes have been included.
Correspondence, 1986, 1988, 1991-1992, 1996-2001 is separated into three subseries: Indivisible Book & Other, Museum & Outreach, and Photographers not Featured. Indivisible Book & Other includes email correspondence between Trudy Wilner Stack, Pat Evans, and Tom Rankin concerning the various parts of the project, project background, book, and website correspondence. Photographers not Featured includes correspondence, resumes, and examples of work, from photographers not chosen to participate in the Indivisible Project. Series 3 Artists Files, Subseries 1: Documentation of Twelve Artists relates to this series.
Book Project Files, 1997-2002 is separated into five subseries: Development Files, Documentation of the Twelve Communities, Interview Audiotapes and Transcripts, Publication & Publicity, and Audio Visual Materials. Development Files contains materials pertaining to the initiation and management of the Indivisible project. Documentation of the Twelve Communities includes background information on each community as well as edits of book sections. Publication & Publicity’s Box 16 Relates to Series 4: Museum Exhibition Files. Audio Visual Materials includes videos, images and Acoustiguide program from CCP exhibition, Indivisible audio collection of oral histories, and unedited videos; relates to Series 4: Museum Exhibition Files.
Artist Files, 1998-2000 is separated into three subseries: Documentation of the Twelve Artists, Reproduction Prints & Rejects, and Slides. Documentation of the Twelve Artists contains artist CVs, correspondence, and some images for book; relates to Series 1: Correspondence. Reproduction Prints & Rejects includes prints, mockups, and notes from each artist. Slides includes slides of images used in the publication as well as museum exhibitions; relates to Series 2: Book Project Files and Series 4: Museum Exhibition Files.
Museum Exhibition Files, 2000-2002 contains exhibition set-up guides, information about postcard exhibition, museum exhibition brochures, and Acoustiguide materials. Relates to Series 2: Book Project Files, Subseries 4 Publication & Publicity and Series 4: Artist Files Subseries 2: Reproduction Prints & Rejects and Subseries 3: Slides.
- University of Arizona. Center for Creative Photography (Organization)
- Center for Documentary Studies (Organization)
- Stack, Trudy Wilner (Curator of an exhibition, Person)
- Lyon, Danny (1942-03-16) (Photographer, Person)
- Bey, Dawoud, 1953- (Photographer, Person)
- Burke, Bill, 1943- (Photographer, Person)
- Caffery, Debbie Fleming (Photographer, Person)
- Davis, Lynn, 1944- (Photographer, Person)
- Evans, P. (Pat), 1936- (Photographer, Person)
- Evans, Terry, 1944- (Photographer, Person)
- Greenfield, Lauren (Photographer, Person)
- Louie, Reagan (Photographer, Person)
- Plachy, Sylvia (Photographer, Person)
- Reed, Eli, 1946- (Photographer, Person)
- Capehart, Lucy (Person)
Language of Materials
Material in English
Conditions Governing Access
To access materials from this collection, please contact CCP-RefDesk@email.arizona.edu
Conditions Governing Use
All photograph copyrights are held by the respective artists, ©1999.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission from the copyright owner (which could be the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates or literary executors) prior to any copyright-protected uses of the collection.
The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents, the University of Arizona, Center of Creative Photography, including its officers, employees, and agents, from and against all claims made relating to copyright or other intellectual property infringement
Administered by Tom Rankin, Executive Director of the Center for Documentary Studies and Trudy Wilner Stack, Curator of Exhibitions & Collections at the Center for Creative Photography, Indivisible: Documenting Commitments to Community blended of documentary photography and oral histories to depict diverse communities at the turn of the new millennium. The project reached audiences through a book, museum exhibition, outreach exhibition, website, television public service announcements, and archival collection.
34 Boxes (17.15 cubic feet, 31.8 linear feet.)
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Collection consists of papers and photographic materials, the bulk of which fall between 1998 - 2001, documenting the Indivisible: Stories of American Community project. The project was funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts and was a partnership between the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University and the Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, AZ.
The Collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1: Correspondence
- Subseries 1: Indivisible Book & Other
- Subseries 2: Museum & Outreach
- Subseries 3: Photographers not Featured
- Series 2: Book Project Files
- Subseries 1: Development Files
- Subseries 2: Documentation of the 12 Communities
- Subseries 3: Interview Audiotapes and Transcripts
- Subseries 4: Publication & Publicity
- Subseries 5: Audio Visual Materials
- Series 3: Artist Files
- Subseries 1: Documentation of 12 Artists
- Subseries 2: Reproduction Prints & Rejects
- Subseries 3: Slides
- Series 4: Museum Exhibition Files
Records were created by Trudy Wilner Stack and Pat Evans, the Center for Creative Photography and the Center for Documentary Studies.
- Capehart, Lucy, 1952-
Materials acquired and initially processed in 2002 by CCP staff. Materials processed and finding aid updated by Sarah Jardini in 2019.
- Indivisible Project, 1986-2002
- Finding aid created by CCP Archives Staff
- © 2019
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Based On Dacs (Describing Archives: A Content Standard)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid encoded in English