Robert Heinecken archive
Scope and Contents
The personal papers include incoming and outgoing correspondence, biographical materials, activity files, exhibition files, publications, and reference files about Heinecken and his career as artist and teacher. They contain little information about Heinecken's childhood, education, or military career.
The photographic materials include many portraits of Heinecken as well as offset plates, prints, negatives, lithographs, contact sheets, transparencies, and tear sheets from periodicals, and other materials used in the production of his artworks beginning around 1960 and continuing to the present. These materials were used in the production and construction of reassembled figures, magazine collages and transfers, offset lithographs from magazines, photograms, solarized and bleached prints, and other works.
The audio-visual materials include slides used in lectures; exhibition installation views; audio tapes of Heinecken's lectures; videotaped interviews; and a film produced jointly with Robert Fichter.
- Heinecken, Robert, 1931-2006 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material in English
Conditions Governing Access
To access materials from this collection, please contact CCP-RefDesk@email.arizona.edu
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection has been restricted by the artist. Please consult the Archivist for additional information. All rights are held by the artist estate.
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission from the copyright owner (which could be the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates or literary executors) prior to any copyright-protected uses of the collection.
The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents, the University of Arizona, Center of Creative Photography, including its officers, employees, and agents, from and against all claims made relating to copyright or other intellectual property infringement
Papers, photographic materials, project and teaching files, and audio-visual materials from the 1950s to the 1990s of Robert Heinecken (l931 - 2006), photographer and teacher
65 Linear Feet (48 boxes)
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Papers, photographic materials, project and teaching files, and audio-visual materials from the 1950s to the 1990s of Robert Heinecken (l931 - 2006), photographer and teacher.
The Collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1: Biographical Materials, 1954-1994
- Series 2: Correspondence, circa 1960s-1980s
- Series 3: Publications, 1970s-1980s
- Series 4: Exhibition Records, 1964-1990
- Series 5: Artwork inventories and bibliographies
- Series 6: Project files and production materials, 1960s-1990s
- Series 7: Reference files
- Series 8: Books and magazines about Heinecken
- Series 9: Audiovisual materials
- Series 10: UCLA teaching files
- Series 11: New Acquisitions
- Series 12: Portraits of Heinecken
- Flat Files: Oversize materials
This collection consists of purchases made by the Center for Creative Photography from Robert Heinecken beginning in 1981, and later extensive gifts from the photographer and posthumously from his widow, Joyce Neimanas.
The materials in this collection are not completely organized. They were received in many accruals over the years and have as of this writing (October 2009), not been completely integrated. The researcher should expect to find materials that are not described in the inventory and to find other materials described only partially. Consult Archivist for help with access.
Initial processing June 1985 by Roger Myers and David Peters.
Revised July 1989, July 1993, May 1996, and October 2009 by A. Rule.
Electronic finding aid prepared, December 1998.
- Robert Heinecken Archive 1954-1990s
- Finding aid created by CCP Archives Staff
- © 2019
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Based On Dacs (Describing Archives: A Content Standard)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid encoded in English