William Holgers archive
Scope and Contents
This collection was designated as Archive Group (AG) 69. It was arranged by record type using original folder headings when possible.
- Holgers, William (1904-1981). (Person)
Language of Materials
Material in English
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions on access, except: not available through interlibrary loan. To access materials from this collection, please contact CCP-RefDesk@email.arizona.edu
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the institution, the creator of the record, the author, heirs, legates, or literary executors). The user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents for the Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by this person asserting that he or she is an owner of copyright.
William Holgers lived in the Oakland/ Berkeley area. He met Willard Van Dyke at the Ford Motor Plant. Holgers attended the U.S. Camera Photographic Forum in Yosemite, a photographic workshop taught by Ansel Adams and Edward Weston in 1940. Thereafter, he remained friends with Adams and Weston and photographed at Weston's home in Carmel. (Note: these are unverified notes found with the materials.)
1.5 Linear Feet
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Printed materials and photographic materials, circa 1930-1980, of William Holgers (1904-1981), California photographer. Most of the clippings, negatives, and photographs relate to Edward and Charis Weston. Of special note are photographs documenting the 1940 U.S. Camera Photographic Forum in Yosemite, a workshop taught by Edward Weston and Ansel Adams. Holgers' short memoir describing the workshop is also included.
The collection is arranged into four series:
- Series 1: Writings
- Series 2: Printed Materials
- Series 3: Correspondence
- Series 4: Photographic Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was a gift to the Center for Creative Photography from Holgers' son, Bruce Holgers, with accessions in 1983, 1984, and 2007.
Two books transferred to library, 1984 February 17.
- Holgers, William, 1904-1981
- Weston, Edward, 1886-1958
- Adams, Ansel, 1902-1984
- Wilson, Charis, 1914-2009
- Photographers--United States
- Photography--United States
Processed in 2011.
- Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.). Department of Film (Organization)
- Group f.64 (Organization)
- William Holgers archive1930-1980
- Finding aid created by CCP archives staff
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Based On Dacs (Describing Archives: A Content Standard)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid encoded in English.