Carolyn Caddes collection
Scope and Contents
The Carolyn Caddes collection consists of five series organized into eight boxes. Series one contains both correspondence with Carolyn Caddes and her research in relation to the Westons, specifically Edward and Flora. Series three complements series one as it consists of audiocassette tapes of interviews recorded by Carolyn Caddes from 1981-1983. These are interviews with Edward Weston’s family and friends conducted during research on Flora Weston’s life.
Series two is made up of activity files including miscellaneous notes and research materials, clippings, and further interview materials. Series four consists of writings such as “Ask Her for a Cup of Coffee and She Gives You Her Heart” and two essays on Flora Chandler Weston. Series five includes photographic materials such as mounted photographs by Carolyn Caddes, negatives, contact sheets, and prints of Weston family portraits, negatives and photocopies of Flora’s scrapbook, and 101 Polaroid snapshots of Ansel Adams’s 80th birthday party in 1982.
- Caddes, Carolyn, 1935- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material in English
Conditions Governing Access
To access materials from this collection, please contact CCP-RefDesk@email.arizona.edu
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission from the copyright owner (which could be the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates or literary executors) prior to any copyright-protected uses of the collection.
The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents, the University of Arizona, Center of Creative Photography, including its officers, employees, and agents, from and against all claims made relating to copyright or other intellectual property infringement
Carolyn Caddes was born in California in 1935. She studied photography at UC Santa Cruz and at the Ansel Adams Workshops. Caddes has spent many years photographing portraits of famous Californian inventors. In 1986, Caddes published the well-known book Portraits of Success: Impressions of Silicon Valley Pioneers, which features portraits of Steve Jobs, Robert Noyce, David Packard, and many more. Caddes is known for her intimate connections made with her subjects, as she spends an extensive amount of time with them, through communication and research.
5 Linear Feet
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Research files and interviews by Carolyn Caddes, 1981-1982. Includes research notes, correspondence, photographic materials, and biographical materials about the Weston family. Also included are a script of lecture and a draft of an essay on Flora Chandler Weston.
The Collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1: Correspondence and research, n.d., 1980-1989, 20 folders
- Series 2: Activity files, n.d., 1980-1986, 2 boxes
- Series 3: Audiocassette tape interviews, n.d., 1981-1983, 1 box
- Series 4: Writings, n.d., 1 box
- Series 5: Photographic materials, n.d., 1981-1984
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Carolyn Caddes, 1998, 2003 and 2015.
Finding aid updated by Meghan Jordan in May 2016 and by Tai Huesgen in 2020.
- Adams, Ansel, 1902-1984
- Portrait photography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Weston, Edward, 1886-1958 (Person)
- Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.). Department of Film (Organization)
- Group f.64 (Organization)
- Carolyn Caddes collection 1980-1989
- Finding aid created by CCP Archives Staff
- © 2020
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Based On Dacs (Describing Archives: A Content Standard)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid encoded in English
Part of the Center for Creative Photography Archives Repository
1030 N. Olive RD
Tucson Arizona 85721 United States