Big Bend Photo Club collection
Scope and Contents
The first series contains an 11x14 notepad labeled BBPC Handbook, 1974, a 7x8 notepad with drawings, photos of/by the BBPC, and 3 handmade patches by Melanie Walker.
The second series contains 1 folder of correspondence to/from members of BBPC. Postcards and loose letter pages are included, as is BBPC letterhead.
The third series contains completed and partial editions of 3 newsletters distributed by the BBCP in 1974. Separate folders are labeled for different artist contributions including: artwork, copy, templates, and member applications. A NYT clipping which mentions a BBCP studio is also included.
The fourth series contains audiovisual materials including: film reel of works by artists in group, audio tape interviews, and CD and thumb-drive of BBPC story, both from Ben Davis.
Language of Materials
Material in English
Conditions Governing Access
To access materials from this collection, please contact CCP-RefDesk@email.arizona.edu
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the user to obtain permission from the copyright owner (which could be the institution, the creator of the record, the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legates or literary executors) prior to any copyright-protected uses of the collection.
The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Arizona Board of Regents, the University of Arizona, Center of Creative Photography, including its officers, employees, and agents, from and against all claims made relating to copyright or other intellectual property infringement
The Big Bend Photo Club was comprised of a group of well known photographers like Robert Fichter, Todd Walker, Harold Jones, Robert Heinecken , Betty Hahn, Michael Bishop, Eileen Cowin and others as well as undergraduate and graduate students of Robert Fichter at Florida State University. Principally created by Ben Davis, Victor Schrager, Melanie Walker, Stephen Danko, Michael Siede, Fred Endsley, Michael Cook, Mike King, and Rus Gant, the Big Bend Photo Club existed roughly between the years 1973 to 1974 and was based in Tallahassee, Florida in the Big Bend area of Florida.
Fichter's students (Melanie Walker, Ben Howell Davis, Victor Schrager) started the club as a way to bring together like minded artists interested in expanding the artistic potential of photography. Many of the Florida State University undergraduate and graduate students have since become well known and respected artists and teachers. The club's primary activity seems to have been the compilation and distribution of the Big Bend Photo News. Artwork in various generative methods photocopy, offset was created by the members and then compiled and distributed by the members in Florida as the Big Bend Photo News. There are 3 newsletters represented in this collection.
1.5 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Issues of Big Bend Photo newsletters, photographs, audio and visual recordings, commemorative patches and other miscellaneous materials related to the Big Bend Photo Club (Tallahassee, Fla.). Includes complete copies and extra pages of the Big Bend Photo News for 1974, a compilation of black and white, color, and mixed media works in photocopy, offset, and other generative methods by the members of the club. A large scrapbook, labeled as the BBPC handbook, and associated with notes pertaining to photography included. Collection also includes snapshots and postcards created or compiled by members of the club and membership applications. Of particular interest is an audiotape of a 1976 lecture by Clarence John Laughlin (1905-1984).
The Collection is arranged into the following series:
- Series 1: Organizational materials and memorabilia
- Series 2: Correspondence and Letters
- Series 3: Publication Materials
- Series 4: Audiovisual Materials
The Big Bend Photo Club Collection was given to the Center for Creative Photography in 1976 by Ben Davis, a member of the club. Ben Davis gave another accural in 2018.
Additional materials were donated by Ben Davis in April of 2018, all of which were from original collection, with exception of 1mp3 audio CD and thumb-drive by Ben Davis from 2018.
- Big Bend Photo Club, circa 1972-76
- Photographers [https://lccn.loc.gov/sh85101179]
- Photography [https://lccn.loc.gov/sh85101206]
- Davis, Ben [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500024789]
- Schrager, Victor [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500057687]
- Walker, Melanie [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500357138]
- Danko, Stephen [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500076376]
- Siede, Michael
- Siede, George [https://lccn.loc.gov/n92109977]
- Mercer, Susan
- Cowin, Eileen [https://lccn.loc.gov/n84221819]
- Curran, Darryl [https://lccn.loc.gov/nr90010980]
- Slaughter, Jamie
- Endsley, Fred [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500091697]
- Cook, Michael [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500033830?]
- Gant, Rus
- Fichter, Robert [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500107448]
- Heinecken, Robert [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500101250]
- Walker, Todd [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500085133]
- Jones, Harold [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500027805]
- Lindstrom, John
- Jobb, Jamie
- McCauley, Hayes
- Kellough, Michael
- Borken, Marian
- Mirano, Virgil [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500123688]
- Rodenheim, Jim
- King, Michael
- Hahn, Betty [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500105576]
- Henkel, Jim [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500073324]
- Parker, Bo [https://lccn.loc.gov/n85130915]
- Clarke, Cristina
- Thomas, Diana
- Ray, Paul Henry
- Thogersen, Lynn
- Gleber, Conrad [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500086499]
- Tarnowski, T.G.
- Chiarenza, Carl [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500333278]
- Flasch, Joan
- Bishop, Michael [http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500063521]
- Costello, M. Allison
- Biddle, Garland
- Laughlin, Clarence John [https://lccn.loc.gov/n83193403]
- Ruther, Joe [https://lccn.loc.gov/n85322243]
- Sommer, Frederick [https://lccn.loc.gov/n80010015]
Processed in summer of 1984 by Judith Leckrone. Accrual processed and finding aid updated by Melissa Sanson in March 2019.
- Big Bend Photo Club Collection, bulk 1972-1977
- Finding aid created by CCP Archives Staff
- © 2019
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Based On Dacs (Describing Archives: A Content Standard)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid encoded in English